1. something determined or decided; resolution he had made a resolve to work all day. 2. firmness of purpose; determination nothing can break his resolve. — http://www.thefreedictionary.com/resolve
I hesitate to make a New Year’s Resolution because I have tried that before and apparently I didn’t have enough determination to succeed. Maybe it just wasn’t the right time. Maybe Auld Lang Syne should be about forgetting all of those previous attempts instead of forgetting old acquaintances.
I know what I want to accomplish and that’s more important to me than defining it. I want the number on the scale to be 25 pounds lower than it is by Thanksgiving – a very generous amount of time. I want to be able to walk a mile a day for at least 5 days a week. I want to fit into the smaller clothes that I just bought last year in smaller sizes. Then I want to lose 25 more pounds. More importantly I want to start eating healthier and continue this way of life, well, for the rest of my life.
Since I did lose 25 pounds in 2011 and then gained it back last year, I have learned several things that I believe will help me with my goal/resolution/life change:
- Sugar is not my friend
- Processed foods need to be eaten in moderation, if at all
- Fruit and veggies really do taste delicious
- The most important lesson I learned is that when you get to your goal “weight” you can’t just stop and go back to your old habits. It takes constant vigilance which if I had realized last year, I wouldn’t be back where I started.
These are the things I did that worked for me back then that I will do this year:
- Weigh daily – in the morning
- Measure monthly
- Keep a food log (also shows weight and exercise log)
- Limit carbs
- Eat more veggies
- Sunday is a free day
- Walked 3+ days
Please share what your goal/resolution is for this year – and if you call it something else. I look forward to hearing your thoughts. If you hear/heard a woman’s loud scream around 7 or 8 am EST today it may just be me looking at the scale numbers. I will post monthly status reports but will keep my photographs to myself for a while.
May you have a happy, healthy and safe New Year!